Category: La Liga

‘Back at Spurs and no fee!’ – Pundit makes joke about superstar pair returning to Tottenham Hotspur


All eyes were on the Champions League draw on Thursday, and the main talking point from the event was the group that Tottenham Hotspur were placed in.

Last season’s Premier League runners-up will have to take on Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Apoel in order to make it through to the knockout rounds.

Mauricio Pochettino’s side were arguably handed the toughest draw out of the English clubs competing, which also include Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Manchester United.

The glamour tie is of course the one against Madrid, which will involve a trip to the Bernabeu for Tottenham and a hosting job at Wembley, where the North London outfit will be playing all of their home games this season.

Micky Hazard, who represented Spurs between 1993 and 1995, pointed out that former Tottenham players Gareth Bale and Luka Modric are likely to play.

The latter was sold to the Spanish club in 2012 following a four-year spell at White Hart Lane, while Bale joined Tottenham for a then world-record £85m fee a year later.

Both have gone on to have stunning success in Madrid, and Hazard is excited to see the stars line up against their former club.

The 57-year-old amusingly tweeted that Tottenham will be able to have the players back for free.

'In their dreams!' – Manchester United fans brush off £185m transfer rumour


When the transfer window is in full flow, shock rumours can emerge, and given that the market is closed for business from this Thursday, the surprising stories are being churned out at a pace.

According to Spanish publication Don Balon, the European heavyweights are eyeing Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford as a star for the future.

The 19-year-old has already become a fully-fledged first-team player at Old Trafford, despite his young age.

Rashford made 32 appearances in the Premier League last season, 16 of which were starts, and he scored five goals and produced one assist.

In the current campaign, the forward has featured in all three of the club’s league games so far, creating an assist in the Red Devils 4-0 rout over West Ham United and scoring in Saturday’s 2-0 triumph over Leicester City.

Don Balon claims that Barcelona are keen for Rashford to eventually replace Luis Suarez, but they may be forced to spend around £185m to prise him away from Old Trafford.

After the speculation emerged in the gossip pages, United fans took to Twitter to give their reactions.

Ex-Barcelona superstar could help Liverpool keep star man


Neymar has told Brazil teammate Philippe Coutinho that he will not regret Liverpool’s decision to keep Barcelona at bay, according to Estadao.

What’s the word?

The Catalan giants have been chasing Coutinho all summer, and it has been widely reported that the playmaker is keen to move to the Camp Nou.

Earlier this month, The Guardian reported that Coutinho had handed in a transfer request, but so far, Liverpool have stood firm in their stance that he is not for sale.

Barcelona have failed to persuade the Reds to discuss a deal after having three bids rejected, the most recent of which the Daily Mail reports was worth £114m.

The former Inter Milan star, who is currently on international duty with Brazil, has reportedly been warned off a move to Barcelona by none other than the club’s former player Neymar.

According to Brazilian newspaper Estadao, the 25-year-old has told Coutinho that “he won’t regret Liverpool’s decision to keep him away from Barcelona”.

Neymar’s relationship with Barca, where he played for four years, has turned sour since he completed a world-record £198m move to Paris Saint-Germain earlier this summer.

Could this make a difference?

It is known to be a usual tactic of Barcelona to have their key players speak publicly about transfer targets in a bid to help their cause in trying to sign them.

On this occasion, Neymar – albeit no longer a Barcelona player – has done the opposite.

If Coutinho regards his fellow countryman as a good friend, then the 25-year-old’s words could make a difference in whether or not he continues pushing for a move to Spain.

With the window closing in just two days’ time, it seems more and more likely that the playmaker will be forced to stay at Liverpool.

Neymar’s reassurance, though, could help Coutinho adapt his outlook and accept the fact that he may have to remain at Anfield for at least another season.

'Ideal Coutinho replacement', 'Just like Luis Garcia' … Liverpool fans praise international star


Real Madrid attacking midfielder Isco played a starring role as Spain beat Italy 3-0 in their latest World Cup qualifier on Saturday, and Liverpool fans believe he could be a potential replacement for Philippe Coutinho in the future.

Once again playing without a recognised striker, the 25-year-old started in a more advanced role for the 2010 world champions and he made a huge impression by curling a free-kick beyond Gianluigi Buffon in the 13th minute.

Things were to get even better for the playmaker five minutes before the interval when he once again scored from outside the penalty area, while he also proved to be a constant menace to Italy midfielder Marco Verratti throughout the match.

Coutinho was heavily linked with a move to Barcelona during the summer transfer window and saw a transfer request rejected, but Liverpool supporters believe that Isco should replace him if he goes in the future following his dazzling display for Spain.

Here is just a selection of the Twitter reaction…

'Wrong decision', 'Great news' … Man United fans react to double club announcement


Manchester United announced on their official website on Saturday that young midfielder Andreas Pereira had joined Valencia on loan after signing a contract extension,but it is a decision that has baffled their fans.

The 21-year-old was an impressive performer for the Red Devils during pre-season and his performances obviously haven’t gone unnoticed by the club after they extended his current deal until 2019, with the option of a further year.

However, the Brazilian will now spend the current campaign on loan with the La Liga outfit rather than staking his claim for a spot in the starting line-up for Jose Mourinho’s side this term.

Man United supporters were quick to have their say on the double announcement via social media, and while they were pleased that he looks set to stay at Old Trafford for at least another couple of years, others were confused by the decision to send him out on loan.

Here is just a selection of the Twitter reaction…