Category: Italian

Newcastle ready to battle Premier League rivals to sign Serie A star

Nagatomo.jpg


According to Italian media outlet Tuttomercatoweb, via talkSPORT, Newcastle United are one of three Premier League clubs tracking Inter Milan left-back Yugo Nagatomo.

What’s the word, then?

Well, Tuttomercatoweb says that the Serie A giants have recently offered the 31-year-old a new contract to stay at the San Siro with his current deal due to run out in 2019, but the Japan international is said to be considering trying a new challenge elsewhere.

Nagatomo certainly doesn’t appear to be short of options if he did want to move the Premier League, with the Magpies, Burnley and West Bromwich Albion all said to be keen on the full-back.

Why would Newcastle want to sign Nagatomo?

With 99 Japan caps to his name and having made 202 appearances in all competitions for Inter since joining them in 2011, there is no doubt that the 31-year-old is a hugely experienced and reliable left-back.

Despite his age he has appeared in five of his side’s seven Serie A fixtures this term, and as well as showing his defensive qualities over the years Nagatomo has also been a threat at the other end of the pitch by scoring 11 goals and assisting a further 18 in those 202 outings.

With Newcastle losing Paul Dummett to injury it has meant that the likes of Chancel Mbemba, Javier Manquillo and Jesus Gamez have filled in at left-back recently, but with the position not being any of those players’ preferred one Rafa Benitez could look to bring in someone like Nagatomo in the New Year or even next summer.

What happens next?

While a move to the Premier League is of course an attractive option, you would still expect Nagatomo to stay with Inter if he has been offered a new contract because they are such a big club.

Of course his decision could depend on whether he will be a first team regular at the San Siro, but the fact that he has started four of their seven Serie A matches so far this season would currently suggest that he is.

If that were to change in the coming weeks and months however and they were able to get him in January, Newcastle should certainly look to sign the 31-year-old to provide some quality and pace in the full-back areas.

'His peak was 6 years ago', 'We should get him' … Newcastle fans divided on transfer link

Newcastle-fans-600x388.jpg


According to reports by Italian media outlet Tuttomercatoweb, via talkSPORT, Newcastle United are one of three Premier League clubs interested in signing Inter Milan left-back Yugo Nagatomo, and Magpies fans are divided on any potential deal.

Tuttomercatoweb, via talkSPORT, says that while the 31-year-old has been offered an extension to his current deal that is due to expire in 2019, he is considering trying a new challenge elsewhere.

He certainly wouldn’t be short of options if he did want to move to England, with the Magpies, Burnley and West Bromwich Albion listed as being keen on the Japan international, who has 99 caps for his country and has made more than 200 appearances for Inter since joining them in 2011.

Newcastle supporters were quick to have their say on the rumour via social media, and they were divided with their opinions.

While some said “we should get him”, others believe that he was a “brilliant player in his peak 5-6 years ago”, suggesting that he wouldn’t be worth signing now.

Here is just a selection of the Twitter reaction…

'Start him!' 'No risk required!' – Chelsea fans debate over team selection

2017-10-17T103901Z_794190876_RC1BA268EC00_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-CHAMPIONS-CHE-ROM-PREVIEW-600x310.jpg


Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata has been on the sidelines since the end of September with a hamstring injury, but he is nearing a return.

The Spain international picked up the problem prior to the international break during a 1-0 defeat to Manchester City.

Morata was certainly missed on Saturday when the Blues were stunned in a 2-1 loss to Crystal Palace.

Not only did Antonio Conte’s side drop points, they did so against a team that had not won a game or scored a goal before that match.

On Wednesday, the West London outfit turn their attention to the Champions League when they host Roma at Stamford Bridge in a Group C encounter.

During Tuesday’s press conference, Conte confirmed that Morata is back in training and could feature in the match.

After the manager addressed the media, Chelsea fans discussed on social media whether or not Morata should be thrown into the action.

'If he starts I won't watch', 'Silence the haters' … Chelsea fans divided on star before CL game

2017-09-30T170300Z_502593753_RC13041A5C50_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-CHE-MCI-600x310.jpg


Chelsea will look to bounce back from the disappointing defeat against Crystal Palace at the weekend and pick up their third successive Champions League win when they host AS Roma at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday, and Blues fans are divided on whether Michy Batshuayi should start.

The Belgium international was handed only his third Premier League start since joining the club from Marseille in 2016, but he was taken off before the hour-mark after failing to impress as Antonio Conte’s men were beaten 2-1 by the bottom team.

With Alvaro Morata missing the game at Selhurst Park through injury, it remains to be seen whether he will be fit enough to feature from the start against the Serie A outfit, with Batshuayi likely to deputise again if the Spaniard isn’t quite yet ready to feature from the beginning.

Chelsea supporters were quick to have their say on the Belgian via social media, and they were divided with their opinions.

While some want him to start to “silence the haters”, others said they are “not watching the game” if he does play.

Here is just a selection of the Twitter reaction…

Arsenal eye £22.5million-rated international as Sanchez replacement

2017-10-10T200301Z_1597529310_RC1B5FE49070_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-WORLDCUP-POR-SWI.jpg


According to The Sun, Arsenal could cash in on Andre Silva, if Alexis Sanchez leaves and AC Milan miss out on a top four spot in Serie A.

What’s the Story?

Andre Silva could be the marquee signing at Arsenal next summer, if certain circumstances transpire, according to reports.

AC Milan are in desperate need to reach the Champions League, in order to recoup the million that they spent rejuvenating their squad in the summer. If they fail to do so, which looks unlikely at the moment, they may need to sell a number of their highest earning players to avoid financial meltdown.

This is good news for Arsenal, who may need to look for a replacement for the likely departing Alexis Sanchez next season. The Gunners have been linked with the Portuguese striker before but failed to pull off a transfer.

However, next summer could see a move finally completed, provided circumstances come to fruition.

How good has Silva been this season?

A lot was expected of Silva when he made the big money move to AC Milan this summer, and so far, he hasn’t disappointed. While Milan may have had an underwhelming start to the season, Silva, who is valued at £22.5million by Transfermarkt, has looked a real bright spark and has scored a number of goals for both club and country.

Would Silva be a good signing for Arsenal?

Looking at Arsenal’s current squad situation, most would admit that another offensive minded player is not what they need right now. However, that may change if Mesut Ozil and/or Alexis Sanchez leave the Emirates.

If this happens, which isn’t an unlikely scenario, a signing like Andre Silva would be exactly what Arsenal need. The 21-year-old is fearless and comfortable with pressure, something that the Gunners squad seems to be lacking in right now.